Tuesday, June 16, 2009

And In the Beginning....

Welcome to "Durable Wealth", the blog about the creation, preservation and transfer of wealth! Through this portal I hope to share with you a lot of what I have learned in my 31 years of business experience, working both in the public and private sectors. I hope to share with you what works and what doesn't, over a wide array of topics, ranging from basic financial planning concepts such as the elements of compounding money, to complex issues such as intergenerational transfers. Along the way we'll discuss taxes, insurance, investing, economics and estate planning. But first we'll start by discussing a couple of topics most on people's minds these days: the stock market and housing. I have some very concrete ideas about these two issues and I hope that you will learn (right along with me) as I lay out some things for you to think about when you consider how what is happening today affects you, your portfolio and your children's future. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Mark -- Nicely done. I am interested in the truth in equity type home loans as described in the truthinequity website. Also, what strategy are you suggesting with to deal with the inveitable inflation as a result of federal non-budgeting.

    Howard R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Howard-

    I only got through about 10 minutes of their video presentation. Without examining their documents it sound like instead of a conventional mortgage a large line of credit is set up under which your "excess cash flow" is used to accelerate principal repayment. If excess cash flow is used ANT mortgage can be accelerated unless it has a specific non-acceleration clause. You can do that yourself with the help of a loan amortization schedule and a form letter to your servicer. Some service coupons even have an additional principal prepayment option. If you and others want additional information on this I could write a post.

    While I have no opinion on this particular "system" you pointed me to I have seen plenty over the years. They are designed to get fees from people they are "helping" and are mostly scams.

    Glad you like the blog.

    I am preparing a three part series on the deflation/inflation conundrum. There isn't a more important topic right now for people's financial future in my opinion. Please check back in from time to time.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I order pizza on this web site? I'll be back at some point to impart more serious remarks like whether I like thick or thin, pepperoni or sausage, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,

    Thanks for letting me know about your blog! I bookmarked it at work and will reference it on a regular basis when I need a break from the daily rigors.

    If you can help me attain "Durable Wealth", I will be a happy man!

    Yours,

    Peter Seoane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter! Thanks for dropping by. I hope the break from the daily rigor can include comments and questions from time to time.

    Best....

    ReplyDelete